Thursday, April 7, 2011

Extreme Couponing

Did anyone watch the new show on TLC called Extreme Couponing . The people on the show are called "Extreme Couponers". They are people that either went through a job loss or money loss and something clicked to them and one day they started using coupons to help them to get more groceries for their money. The difference between an "extreme" couponer and someone who uses coupons is that the extreme couponers spend at least anywhere from 4 to 6 hours planning out their trip to the store a day before. They also "dumpster dive" through the paper recyclables to get coupons from their weekly paper that people have thrown away. They have a big binder with the coupons separated by type of product/food that they bring in store. It was really amazing to see how much these people saved. They got most of their food for free just by calculating how much they could get off with their coupon, then some of them would also use their store cards and then they would go bulk on everything. One lady got $1,000 worth of food (pasta, candy bars, gatorade) for only $51. This show really made me think about how much money my family and I are wasting on groceries and other needs of the household. I mean I know it sounds extreme, but if you look at how badly the economy has gotten with so many people out of work and so many losing their jobs or taking a pay cut. Would you go to the extreme's to get free bulk food purely through couponing? I have really been thinking about it since I went to bed last nite and woke up this morning thinking about it again. However, I don't use that many coupons, if hardly ever. Now I really am thinking about getting a newspaper subscription. I live far from town, so for me to be able to go through the dumpster I wouldn't be able to do too often. I am going to start bugging everyone for their coupons though. My husband and I couldn't believe how much stuff these people were getting and only maybe paying $6 for a $538 grocery bill (that was another lady on the show). It just makes me wonder if the stores will change up their coupon policies now that this show is on the air and people know about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment